You probably have seen announcements that a certain day of the year is a National or International Wine Day. I always learn about the day too late and don’t have enough time to make sure I have that wine, so I decided to solve that problem and provide a list of all the national and international wine days so you can plan in advance.
I researched all the days through the world wide web and found there is some discrepancy on some days as not everybody can agree. I took the consensus and listed them below. Some wine days are created by wine associations, wine regions, and even wine bloggers and other media.
In the interest of representing Texas wine, I have now created two additional national holidays for some top red and white grapes being grown in Texas and the United States that do not have representation in the existing calendar.
National Viognier Day – Viognier was one of the first white wines that did well in Texas and a lot of people still think of Viognier as the white grape of Texas. One of the first wineries that showed the world how Texas can make great Viognier is Pedernales Cellars when they won a Grand Gold at the 2013 Concours International des Vins à Lyon (Lyon International Wine Competition) in France with their 2012 Viognier Reserve. From some research, it seems that the competition was held on April 6, 2013, so April 6 is now National Viognier Day.
National Mourvèdre Day – Mourvèdre is a grape used around the world and often in a blend of Grenache and Syrah called GSM. Texas has grown more Mourvèdre in recent years and one Texas winery who is one of the leading producers of Mourvèdre in the United States is William Chris Vineyards. When Texas Wine Lover held the Battle of the Texas Mourvèdre in 2017, William Chris not only was awarded the top Texas Mourvèdre, but they also had three of the top five wines. The competition was held on May 21, so from now on May 21 is National Mourvèdre Day.
- 1 – International Furmint Day
- 16 – International Syrah Day
- 18 – National Drink Wine Day
- Last Saturday – Open That Bottle Night
- 3 – National Mulled Wine Day
- 13 – Riesling’s birthday
- 1st Friday – International Sauvignon Blanc Day
- 9 – National Moscato Day
- 16 – National Mimosa Day
- 17 – National Pinot Grigio Day
- 21 – National Mourvèdre Day
- Thursday before Memorial Day – National Chardonnay Day
- 25 – National Wine Day
- 1st Saturday – National Bubbly Day
- 2nd Saturday – National Rosé Wine Day
- 18 – Chenin Blanc Day (variable days)
- 21 – Lambrusco Day
- 4th Friday – International Rosé Day
- 1st week – Sparkling Wine Week
- 4th Thursday – Shiraz Day
- 1 – National Albariño Day. People also celebrate Days 1-5.
- 4 – National White Wine Day
- 13 – National Prosecco Day
- 14 – International Rosé Wine Day
- 18 – National Pinot Noir Day
- 28 – National Red Wine Day
- Thursday before Labor Day – International Cabernet Sauvignon Day
- 3rd Friday – International Grenache Day
- Entire month – Texas Wine Month
- 6 – National Orange Wine Day
- 2nd full week – Drink Local Wine Week
- 2nd Saturday – International Pinotage Day
- 4th Friday (?) – World Champagne Day
- Last Thursday – International Carignan Day
- 1 – Xinomavro Day
- 7 – International Merlot Day
- 2nd Thursday – International Tempranillo Day
- 3rd Wednesday – National Zinfandel Day
- 3rd Thursday – Beaujolais Noveau Day
- 24 – International Carménère Day
- 4 – Cabernet Franc Day
- 20 – Sangria Day
- 31 – National Champagne Day