“The business of wine is multi-faceted and increasingly complex. And with some 130,000 brands in the marketplace, the wine industry is one of the most competitive industries on earth. Therefore, the need to have a concentration of talented people who are well-prepared to successfully navigate these complexities and challenges on behalf of all wine companies is more important than ever. The Wine Business Institute at Sonoma State is the only program of its kind in the heart of wine country that is developing our leaders of tomorrow, teaching them the business of wine vs. the production of wine.”
Duckhorn Wine Company
Wine Business Management Certificate Program | Wine Business Institute | Sonoma State University
Start Date: June 14, 2023. Register here
Introduction Register now!
Sonoma State University is pleased to present the Certificate in Wine Business Management (WBM), a program that will teach you the skills and knowledge you need to succeed in the wine industry. This online program is inspired by the Sonoma MBA in Wine Business and designed for current and future professionals in the global wine industry. Whether you are a wine enthusiast who wants to learn more about the business side of wine, or an aspiring entrepreneur who wants to start your own wine business, the WBM Online Certificate can help you achieve your goals.
Course Structure and curriculum
The WBM Online Certificate is a 28-week program that is divided into four courses:
- Foundations of Wine Business Management (beginners level) Jun 14-Jul 12, 2023
- The Key Drivers of a Wine Business (intermediate level) Aug 16-Oct 11, 2023
- Advanced Wine Business Courses (Choose 2)
The Foundations course will provide you a comprehensive overview of the global wine industry including topics such as wine production, distribution, marketing, and sales. The Intermediate Wine Business course will delve deeper into these topics and will also cover more advanced topics such as finance, accounting, and regulations. To obtain the certificate you will also have to complete 16 weeks of elective advanced courses, where you can tailor your learning experience to your specific interests and career goals.
Students have the opportunity to choose two eight-week elective courses from a range of options. These electives cater specifically to the wine business:
- Financial Management and Strategy for Wine Business: This course focuses on financial planning, market entry strategies, valuing wine businesses, and compliance requirements. It equips students with the necessary knowledge to effectively manage the financial aspects of a wine business.
- Wine Production and Operations: Students delve into key business issues related to production and operations in the wine industry. They learn about supply chain management, quality control, and other crucial aspects that impact the success of a wine business.
- Strategic Wine Marketing explores the planning process of marketing. Students gain insights into targeting specific customer segments, branding and packaging strategies, communication strategies, and pricing techniques. This course equips students with the skills needed to create effective marketing strategies in wine business.
- Wine Sales Management provides training in sales and territory management. Students learn about distributor management, marketing concepts, and pricing calculations. This course aims to enhance students’ sales skills and equip them with the knowledge required for successful wine sales management.
- DTC and eCommerce for Wine Business: This elective course covers the evolution of eCommerce and digital marketing in the wine industry. Students learn about customer relationship management, online customer experience, digital strategies, and best practices in eCommerce.
Benefits of the WBM Online Certificate
The WBM Online Certificate offers a number of benefits, including:
- Flexibility: The program is entirely online, so you can learn from anywhere in the world and with only a 4-6 hour weekly commitment you can pursue your goal without overwhelming your schedule.
- Networking: One-hour weekly live webinars where you can interact with instructors and fellow students, creating a vibrant community.
- Convenience: There is no time limit to finish the program, so you can fit your studies around your busy schedule.
- Quality: The program is taught by experienced industry professionals who are passionate about wine and its complex industry.
Are you ready to embark on this exciting journey into the world of wine business? Sonoma State University’s Wine Business Management Online Certificate promises to be a transformative experience, blending knowledge, passion, and industry expertise into a comprehensive program that will ignite your wine career. Raise your glass, take a sip, and uncork your potential with this extraordinary opportunity. To learn more about the program and to register, please visit our website. The Summer ‘23 cohort is about to start on June 14!
Cheers to your success!
“As a wine industry professional and veteran, mostly focused on one department, I experienced a higher level of education on other channels of the wine business that contribute to the overall health and perceived quality of any given winery operation. I found the professors to be engaging and passionate about the topics they presented and challenged my ability to critically think about the development and contribution of each winery channel. I would endorse this program for existing winery professionals looking to grow and develop their wine business knowledge, and for any new wine student looking for a broad understanding of key areas that contribute to a winery operation.”
Charlie Plummer, CS, CSW
National Sales Director
Paul Hobbs Wines