Carter Creek Winery Resort & Spa, proud of Texas Hill Country’s rich and prosperous German heritage, announces its annual Oktoberfest festivities from Friday, September 23, to Sunday, September 25. Southern beer aficionados can celebrate all weekend with German- and Czech-inspired beers, Oktoberfest-themed food, festive games, merchandise specials, and live music featuring “Off The Grid” performing Friday and Saturday from 7 to 10 p.m.
Family-owned Carter Creek Winery, the only resort in the area that is both a winery and a brewery, takes this honor seriously when it comes to producing IPAs, pale ales, and German ales with classic flavor and aroma. Handcrafted beer creations produced by brewer Justin Zimmerman and his team of avid German and Czech-inspired beer lovers have created the following selections to be served at Old 290 Brewery during Oktoberfest weekend and through October:
- Oktoberfest – A Marzen-style lager full of bready malt notes, this is a medium-bodied lager with a crispness that lingers into the dry and clean finish. It is cold-filtered to a brilliant clarity and is perfect for any celebration, especially Oktoberfest.
- Dark Czech Lager – Brewed with a cast of all Czech ingredients, the base malt is a Bohemian variety, the hops are Czech Saaz, and the powerhouse yeast is a classic Czech lager strain. The result is a dark copper-colored and slightly roasted malty lager, similar to a Munich Dunkel but with a richer malt and hop profile. Brewed in Prague since around 1500, it has been enjoyed ever since.
- Carter Kölsch– A classic Kölsch-style lager traditionally from Cologne, Germany, but today Carter Creek also serves it. It features wonderful notes of pilsnery sweet flavors from the German variety of barley used in the brewing process. A lager with a low hop bitterness and a low alcohol by volume allows this beer to be enjoyed for any occasion.
Oktoberfest weekend menu specials at Old 290 Brewery through October include:
- The Pretzel made with jalapeño beer cheese, whole grain mustard and Boursin cheese
- Sauerkraut Bratwurst Fritter
- The Oktoberfest Trio of beer brat, jalapeño cheddar sausage, venison pork sausage with sauerkraut apple potato, green beans, bacon and candied pecan
- andPork Schnitzel served with German potato salad and accompaniments.