Chris and Kelley Baber wanted to create a non-intimidating environment where consumers can discover wines they enjoy so they opened Hill Country Wineworks in Comfort, Texas, in August 2021.
During a recent Comfort visit, we made a point to visit Hill Country Wineworks. The winery’s tasting room is in an 1800s cabin with multiple rooms available to enjoy a tasting. We ended up in the main tasting room in the cabin complete with couches next to the fireplace. One member of our group said they could return and just chill in that room since it was so cozy and comfortable.
Kelley Baber led our tasting of five wines which included the following easy-drinking wines:
- 2019 Kennedy (50% Riesling, 35% Viognier, 15% Roussane) – Texas High Plains
- Finn (60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Cabernet Franc, 20% Petit Verdot) – Washington and California
- 2016 Jasper (Cabernet Sauvignon) – Yakima Valley, WA
- Weston (Tempranillo) – Texas High Plains
- 2019 Oliver (Dolcetto) – Texas High Plains
During the tasting, Kelley explained how they had purchased five acres in Comfort and will be building a new tasting room there. There is also a barn on the property that will be refurbished to hold weddings.
If you are near the Comfort area, you now have one more winery to add to your list of the ones you will want to visit.