The holidays are a perfect time to open a special bottle of wine for an elegant meal or to share with friends at a party. Here are some fantastic wines that are perfect for any holiday occasion.
This Fredericksburg, Texas winery has gained big accolades for its outstanding wines. It was just recognized with two Class Champion awards at the 2022 Houston Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition for wines that would make Santa’s cheeks even rosier.
- 2018 Stella Solitaria was recognized as a Class Champion and Texas Class Champion with a Double Gold medal. This “Super Tuscan” blend of Sangiovese, Barbera, and Cabernet Sauvignon grown on the Texas High Plains means “Lone Star” in Italian. It is a gorgeous wine with bright cherry and red plum flavors carried on lively acidity and light tannins for a smooth finish. It is a perfect holiday gift and a lovely accompaniment to roast goose.
- 2019 Alicante Bouschet was recognized as a Reserve Texas Class Champion with a Silver medal (it also won a Double Gold at the 2021 Harvest Terroir Challenge and Texas Class Champion at the 2022 San Antonio Rodeo Wine Competition). As bold as a group singing Christmas carols on your front porch, this wine is made with 100% Alicante Bouschet grapes grown in the Texas Heritage Vineyard Estate vineyard in the Texas Hill Country. Its flavors are forward with layers of juicy blueberries and back cherries with warm baking spices and dark chocolate on the finish. It will certainly be a crowd-pleaser at any holiday party and pairs well with Beef Wellington for Christmas dinner.
The winery on the hill overlooking the beautiful Texas Hill Country outside of Kerrville recently released scrumptious red wines that will make the angels sing. Both of these wines are included in the winery’s Holiday Bundle.
- 2019 Zinfandel is made with grapes grown in the Reddy Vineyards in the Texas High Plains. This medium-bodied wine decks the halls with cherry jam, plum, boysenberry, anise, and black pepper flavors with silky tannins. The fruit flavors and liveliness of this wine make it a holiday treat with butter-roasted quail with cornbread stuffing.
- 2019 Petite Sirah is made with grapes grown in the Newsom Vineyards in the Texas High Plains. One sip of this inky dark wine and you will have visions of sugar-plums dancing in your head. It is superb with big blackberry and blueberry flavors mingled with spice and licorice. Every elf will put down their toy tools to enjoy this paired with roast pork loin with sauteed mushrooms.
This celebrated winery put the Texas wine industry on the map and has earned international recognition since the 1980s. It just released a stellar line-up of beautiful wines that will impress your most discerning friends on your gift list. Their holiday pack is on their website.
- 2019 Carignan, Vintners Selection, is made with grapes grown on the Oxbow Estate Vineyard in Driftwood. The expression of cedar and cinnamon on the nose of the Carignan warms your senses before inviting you to enjoy the juicy strawberry and cranberry flavors. It is an elegant medium-body wine with a delicious balance of fruit and structure that pairs incredibly well with roasted turkey.
- 2018 Mourvèdre, Vintners Selection, Salt Lick Vineyards. This wine highlights light strawberry, cherry, and allspice aromas followed by flavors of raspberry, plum, spice, a touch of cardamon, and a well-integrated acid structure coupled with soft tannins. This is a shining star paired with Susan Auler’s rosemary encrusted roast lamb.
These are just a few wineries offering special wines for your holiday season.