The Iron Sommelier event, now in its 14th anniversary, has always been a popular event showcasing Houston’s finest sommeliers as they compete for the title of Iron Sommelier benefiting The Periwinkle Foundation on November 4th. Each competing sommelier will select three wines that focus on a particular wine region, grape or style, and a panel of judges will rate wine choice, presentation, creativity, and knowledge of their wine selections.
As an effort to provide a safe and socially distanced competition, The Periwinkle Foundation will be offering both virtual and in-person opportunities for guests to experience. Individual Ticket holders will be provided with a take-home dinner and a tasting flight of 12 wines, as well as access to the virtual live presentations from the competing sommeliers and guest winemakers. Underwriters will have access to live presentations and interactive conversations with the competing sommeliers at Caracol. All guests will have access to an exciting wine pull, auction, raffle, and Children’s Art sales.
Sommeliers competing in the 2021 competition include:
- David Anderson – Mastro’s Steakhouse
- Molly Austad – Bludorn
- Andres Blanco – Le Jardinier
- Farrah Cauley – Sonoma Wine Bar
- Adele Corrigan – 13 celsius Wine Bar
- Eric Estefano – Pappas Bros. Steakhouse
- Austin Farina – March
- John Mason – River Oaks Country Club
- Emily Tolbert – Savoir
- Justin Vann – Nancy’s Hustle
- Robert Waltrip – The Club at Carlton Woods
- Elyse Wilson – Camerata
The competing sommeliers will be judged by:
- Craig Collins, MS- Sales Manager, VINTUS
- Antonio Gianolo- Manager, Houston Wine Merchants
- Liz Palmer- Executive Director Texas Wine School/Managing Partner AOC
The event takes place Thursday, November 4, 2021, from 6:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.
For sponsorship and underwriting opportunities, including pricing on access to the Masters Tasting Room and Underwriter Tasting Room, contact Alice Rohrman, firstname.lastname@example.org.