We first met Mike and Melissa Poole years ago at the winery in Seguin. Since that time, Mike helped Texas Wine Lover judge the Battle of the Texas Sangiovese and the winery expanded into a second tasting room in Hye. We are proud to feature Mike Poole as the featured winemaker this month!
- What did you do before becoming a winemaker (if anything)?
Winemaking is something I have been doing for many years while I’ve had other jobs. Before I became a full-time winemaker, I worked as a consultant in the oil and gas industry.
- What is the toughest challenge about being a winemaker in Texas?
Dealing with a wild range of chemistry issues with Texas fruit due to extreme of weather conditions is the toughest challenge with Texas winemaking.
- Is winemaking an art or a science or both?
Winemaking should be an art but most times I have to play scientist to create a wonderful wine.
- What is your favorite food and wine pairing?
Pairing food with red wine is easy. Pairing unusual foods with lesser known white wines is fun. Try Jalapeño mead with a honey mustard dip on pretzels. YUM!
- If you didn’t make wine, what would you do?
If I didn’t make wine, I would be making beer.
- What first attracted you to winemaking and how long have you been doing it?
I have been making beer, mead, and wine for 28 years—winemaking as a professional for 10 years.
- What is the most common question you are asked as a winemaker?
The most common question that I am asked as a winemaker is, “What is your favorite wine?”
- After a long day in the winery or vineyard, what do you do?
I usually drink some wine after working all day in the winery and vineyard.
- What’s the greatest part about being a winemaker?
Watching the wine develop over time is the most rewarding thing about being a winemaker. I just hope people like what I’m making.
- What is your winemaking philosophy, that is, what are you trying to achieve with your wines?
The thing that I am trying to achieve with my wines is not perfection, but an interesting vintage. This is where the art of winemaking is…
Leave a Reply