Texas Wine Lover was invited to the event for the purposes of this press coverage. However, all opinions, experiences, and photographs are entirely our own.
The 2020 Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition happened on Sunday on the Houston Rodeo grounds where guests enjoyed the wine and food dishes. The event featured more than 450 winning wines from the 2020 Rodeo Uncorked! International Wine Competition and food from 113 Houston restaurants.
The 2020 Best Bites winners were:
Outstanding Showmanship Award
- 1st Place: Brother’s Produce
- 2nd Place: JW Marriott – Downtown
People’s Choice Award
- 1st Place: Grazia Italian Kitchen & The Caboose – Smoked & Soaked Wagyu Chuck, Corn Pudding, Date Gastrique, Cabernet Reduction, Tallow Fried Crumble, Micro Arugula & Amaranth
- 2nd Place: Cotton Culinary The Art of Catering – Duck Carnitas
Tasty Tradition Award
- 1st Place: Maggiano’s Little Italy – Lasagna with Marinara Sauce
- 2nd Place: Revival Market – Miso Mushrooms Toast, Whipped TX Goat Cheese & Houston Urban Honey
Trailblazer Appetizer Award
- 1st Place: Brennan’s of Houston – Hot Hot Oyster with Crystal Hot Sauce Butter, Pepper Jelly Glaze & Pickled Okra Chow Chow
- 2nd Place: Smokey Cheeks – Smokey Cheek Taco with Coleslaw, Pickled Onions & Cilantro, finished with a Blueberry Ghost Pepper Hollandaise Sauce
- 3rd Place: The Capital Grill – Porcini-Rubbed Smoked Bacon with Sweet Corn Risotto finished with Tomato Jam
Lone Star Entrée Award
- 1st Place: NOBU – Black Cod Miso on Lettuce Cup topped with Crispy Khataifi
- 2nd Place: Phat Eatery – Beef Rendang
- 3rd Place: Pinstripe’s – Short Ribs with Parmesan Polenta & Peppercorn Cream
Two-Steppin’ Dessert Award
- 1st Place: Ooh La La Sweets – Praline Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 2nd Place: Grimaldi’s Coal Brick-Oven Pizzeria – Mini Cannoli
- 3rd Place: Joyce’s Seafood & Steaks – White Chocolate Bread Pudding
- Killen’s in the Heights – Smoked Brisket Enchilada
Trail Boss Food Truck Award
- Eaker Barbecue – Smoked Pulled Pork atop Creamed Corn with Green Onion Garnish
As a reminder, the Top Texas Winery was Becker Vineyards and their award-winning wines were being poured. The Top Texas Wine was awarded to Bingham Family Vineyards for their 2017 Dugout Red and that was being poured to guests with the winning saddle located behind the table.
The 2020 competition included 3,528 entries from 19 countries, including France, Spain, Bulgaria, Italy, Israel, Argentina, and South Africa. Texas wineries were awarded 508 medals, and 380 entries came from this year’s featured region, Mendoza, Argentina.
We made a point to try and visit every Texas winery table where representatives were, and the photos we took are in the gallery.
Champion wines will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction and Dinner on Sunday, March 1.
Visitors to the 2020 rodeo can enjoy a selection of award-winning wines by the glass or bottle at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden during the rodeo. For more information on Rodeo Uncorked! Events, please visit rodeohouston.com/wine.
Enjoy the photos we took during the 2020 Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition!