It is that time of year when the Iron Sommelier event, now in its 12th anniversary, takes place in Houston to give you an experience of wine like no other wine competition and wine tasting event can. The event will benefit the Periwinkle Foundation and is presented by AUTOSOL. This year’s event will again be held at the Houstonian Hotel, Club and Spa at 111 North Post Oak Lane, Houston, TX 77024, on October 30th at 6 p.m.
The event will showcase Houston’s finest sommeliers as they compete for the title of Iron Sommelier. Wine Chair Sean Beck and Sommelier Chair John Clutterbuck invite guests to enjoy the expertise of 14 sommeliers as the guests taste hand selected wines carefully prepared to themes crafted by each sommelier. Competitors will be rated on wine choice, presentation, creativity, and their knowledge of the wine selections. Judges at this year’s competition will be Scott Tyree, MS – Acadia House Provisions, Drew Hendricks, MS – MPWS, and June Rodil, MS – Goodnight Hospitality.
The sommeliers who will be competing for Iron Sommelier this year are:
- Andres Blanco – Caracol Restaurant
- Farrah Cauley – Sonoma Wine Bar (Upper Kirby & The Heights)
- Angie Chang – Doris Metropolitan
- Adele Corrigan – 13 celcius Wine Bar
- Julie Dalton – Mastro’s Steakhouse
- Chris Havens – Pappas Bros. Steakhouse
- Bridget Elizabeth Paliwoda – The Annie
- Chris Poldoian – Camerata at Paulie’s
- Whitney Seng – Coronado Club
- Emily Tolbert – Noble Rot Wine Bar
- Evan Turner – Ouzo Bay
- Justin Vann – Public Services Wine and Whiskey Bar, Theodore Rex and Penny Quarter
- Robert L. Waltrip, III – Yauatcha Houston
- Jeffery Young – Georgia James
Underwriters can experience private tasting presentations by each competing sommelier in the Underwriter Tasting Room, or get to know the Masters as guests enjoy a four course tasting menu curated by Austin Simmons – TRIS, Paul Petronella – Paulie’s, and Lyle Bento – formerly of 1751 Sea and Bar, paired with rare wines presented by Master Sommeliers –, David Keck, Jack Mason, and Steven McDonald – in the Masters Tasting Room.
An Auction, Wine Pull, Iron Sommelier Wine Case, and Making A Mark Children’s Art Sale will round out the evening of wine, entertainment, and food.
Tickets are still only $200 for individual tickets purchased in advance and $225 for tickets purchased on the day of the event. For sponsorship and underwriting opportunities, including pricing on access to the Masters Tasting Room and Underwriter Tasting Room, contact Alice Rohrman, email@example.com.