Texas Wine Lover was invited to the event for the purposes of this press coverage. However, all opinions, experiences, and photographs are entirely our own.
On Sunday, February 17, over 5,000 people enjoyed the Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition. Nearly 500 winning wines from the International Wine Competition were tasted alongside 118 area culinary institutions competing for the Best Bites awards.
The 2019 Best Bites winners were:
Outstanding Showmanship Award
- Grand Champion: Brothers Produce
- Reserve Grand Champion: Cupcake Kitchen
People’s Choice Award
- Grand Champion: Grazia’s Italian Kitchen – Wagyu Ribeye Burnt Ends over Sharp Cheddar Stone-ground Grits
- Reserve Grand Champion: Killen’s BBQ – Pork Belly Burnt Ends
Tasty Tradition Award
- Grand Champion: Trentino Gelato – Dulce de Leche Gelato Pop
- Reserve Grand Champion: Black Walnut Café – Carnitas Tacos
Trailblazing Appetizer Award
- Grand Champion: Broken Barrel – Crispy Plantain with Pulled Pork
- Reserve Grand Champion: Uchi Houston – Kiwi Salmon
- Third Place: The Art Institute of Houston – Smoked Buffalo Street Taco
Lone Star Entrée Award
- Grand Champion: Ouise’s Table – Short Rib Tacos with Poblano
- Reserve Grand Champion: Merlion – Ribeye Kang Kari (Yellow Curry)
- Third Place: Sonoma Wine Bar & Restaurant – 44 Farms Red Wine 7-hour Braised Short Rib with Herbed Mashed Potato & Heirloom Carrots
Two-Steppin’ Dessert Award
- Grand Champion: Ashley Cakes – “Royal” Mini Cake Shot
- Reserve Grand Champion: Red Desserts Dive – Bourbon Caramel Cupcake
- Third Place: Seasons 52 – Belgian Chocolate S’more
- Cultivated F+B – “Guajillo” Short Rib Taco
Trail Boss Food Truck Award
- Grand Champion: Bayou City Eats – Seared Shrimp with Herbed Grits
We visited every Texas winery table where representatives were, and the photos we took are included in the gallery. As we discovered later, there were more representatives present, and we caught up with them while walking around.
The champion wines will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction on Sunday, Feb. 24.
Some of the champion wines will be available for purchase by the glass and bottle in the Champion Wine Garden during the Rodeo. For more information about the Rodeo Uncorked! wine events, visit rodeohouston.com/wine.
Enjoy the photos we took during the 2019 Rodeo Uncorked! Roundup and Best Bites Competition!