Vintners Hideaway is a new tasting room in downtown Fredericksburg that is owned by Jim and Ranae Mills. The tasting room opened April 20, 2018.
The tasting room is concentrating solely on 100% Texas wine. These days, many growers are making their own wine saving some of the grapes they sell. Vintners Hideaway offers a location for these growers to sell their wines, and also wines that are exceptional and not necessarily easily available elsewhere.
Some of the growers and other wineries with vineyards that are currently offered are: Rivenburgh Wine, Buena Suerte Vineyards, and 1851 Vineyards. There are also plans to reach out to other vineyards and small wineries making fine wine in the state. But not to be left out, Rustic Spur Vineyards will be bottling some new Tannat and Semillon in June with their own label.
You can easily find Vintners Hideaway in downtown Fredericksburg as you go down Llano St. because there is a large sign on the building over another building. But when you pull into the parking lot, there is no doubt you have found the place with the additional sign.
Tastings are done while standing or sitting at the square tasting bar. There is a tasting fee for a selection of six wines.
These are the wines that were currently available while we visited, but there will be more wines available soon:
- Buena Suerte Cellars Trebbiano 2017
- Rivenburgh Wine Picpoul Blanc 2016 – Timmons Family Estate Vineyards
- Rivenburgh Wine Semillon 2016 – Rustic Spur Vineyards
- Buena Suerte Cellars Rosé 2017
- Rivenburgh Wine Mourvèdre 2014 – Reddy Vineyards
- Rivenburgh Tempranillo 2014 – Newsom Vineyards
- 1851 Vineyards L.O.C. Red 2016 – Texas High Plains
- 1851 Vineyards Tannat 2016 – Reddy Vineyards
- Buena Suerte Cellars Dulce Blanco 2017 (sweet)
While you are tasting, you can also order meat and cheese like:
- Cheeses: 3 Pepper Colby Jack Cheese, ButterKase Cheese, Italian Herb Mozzarella, Smoked Gouda
- Meats: Sopressata Dry Sausage, Prosciutto & Mozzarella Snack Pack
There are also drinks available for the non-wine drinkers. A small gift shop is available with wine accessories and clothing.
There are plans for events, such as having the people behind the wines come in to present and do tastings of their wine. Texas-centric wine education is also hoping to be offered.
Plans are in the works for something like a wine club, and the details will be forthcoming. A Wine of the Month is also featured, and for this June, it is the Buena Suerte Trebbiano.
When you’re in Fredericksburg, make the time to visit the new Vintners Hideaway and see what wines are new.