Danny Hernandez is the winemaker at Sister Creek Vineyards in Sisterdale. Sister Creek Vineyards is part of the Texas Hill Country Wineries, and they are a very popular winery for those who visit. This month we present Danny Hernandez as the monthly winemaker profile.
- What did you do before becoming a winemaker (if anything)?
I worked as a caretaker/rancher on this property before it become a winery.
- What is the toughest challenge about being a winemaker in Texas?
The weather, climate, and growing conditions.
- Is winemaking an art or a science or both?
- What is your favorite food and wine pairing?
A simple pasta with a Cabernet Sauvignon.
- If you didn’t make wine, what would you do?
Probably be working in construction.
- What first attracted you to winemaking and how long have you been doing it?
I’ve been a winemaker for 32 years. While serving a tour in Germany with the US Army, I became interested in wine.
- What is the most common question you are asked as a winemaker?
Does all wine go into barrels?
- After a long day in the winery or vineyard, what do you do?
Since I live on the property, I get to enjoy the beauty of the Hill Country and Sisterdale Creek.
- What’s the greatest part about being a winemaker?
The anticipation of each coming vintage and how it’s going to evolve.
- What is your winemaking philosophy, that is, what are you trying to achieve with your wines?
I try to get as much of the full character of the grape or wine right from the very beginning or start of the process.
- Anything else you would like to add?
I have a passion for winemaking. It’s fun and always gratifying.