The Iron Sommelier is a sommelier competition and this year’s event returns on October 20 presented by AutoSol® and benefiting The Periwinkle Foundation. The event will be held at the Houstonian Hotel, Club and Spa.
Houston’s finest sommeliers will be tested for the title of Iron Sommelier. Now in its 8th year, Wine Chair Sean Beck and Sommelier Chair John Clutterbuck invite guests to an evening showcasing the expertise of 14 sommeliers while guests taste hand-selected wines that showcase a theme chosen by each sommelier. Competitors will be rated on wine choice, presentation, creativity, and knowledge of their wine selections.
These are the sommeliers scheduled to compete for Iron Sommelier 2016:
- Lexey Davis Johnson – B&B Butchers & Restaurant
- Rachel DelRocco – Camerata at Paulie’s, and 2016 winner of TEXSOM’s Best Sommelier Competition
- Thomas Moësse – divino Italian Restaurant & Wine Bar
- Melissa Lamb – Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar
- Evan Turner – Helen Greek Food and Wine, and Iron Sommelier 2015
- Travis Hinkle – Hunky Dory, Bernadine’s, Foreign Correspondents, Down House (Treadsack Restaurant Group)
- Samantha Porter – Oporto Fooding House, Oporto Wine Cafe, and Queen Vic Pub & Kitchen
- Brandon Kerne – Pappas Bros. Steakhouse
- Shepard Ross – Pax Americana
- Christian Varas – River Oaks Country Club
- Angie Chang – Sonoma Wine Bar & Restaurant
- Matt Crawford – State of Grace
- Adele Corrigan – 13 celsius Wine Bar
- Matthew Pridgen – Underbelly
An auction, Wine Pull, Iron Sommelier Wine Case, and Making A Mark Children’s Art Sale will round out the evening of wine, entertainment, and food.
Tickets are $200 for individual tickets purchased in advance and $225 for tickets purchased the day of the event. An Aficionado Package which includes two tickets and a magnum of Juve Y Camps Familiar Brut Reserve is available for $1,000. For more information and to purchase tickets or sponsorship, check out the website www.ironsommelier.org.
Last year’s event was a great time and we look forward to attending this year’s version.
Leave a Reply