Zin Valle Vineyards is located in Canutillo which is near El Paso and is owned by Victor and Kathi Poulos. In August 2000 they purchased ten acres of land in the Mesilla Valley Appellation (AVA). The AVA is located both in Texas and New Mexico, and the portion in Texas is located north and west of El Paso. They first planted Zinfandel grapes. Today they also grow Gewürztraminer and Malvasia on four acres.
When driving to the winery, I was surprised when I reached a sign announcing I was now in New Mexico as I thought the winery was in Texas. When I got the chance later, I looked at an online map and indeed they are located in Texas as there is a little slice to the west of the road which is Texas and that is where the winery is located.
One vineyard is in front of the winery and another on another side. Tastings are done while standing at the tasting bar.
About 40% of their wine is from their estate vineyard. The rest of their grapes come from the Mesilla Valley Appellation, Albuquerque, and California. Zin Valle Vineyards produces 2,500 cases of wine a year. When Zin Valle Vineyards was started, the name “Rising Star” was registered and is the label used on some of their wines.
Some of the wines available are:
- Rising Star Sparkling Wine NV (Dry Brut)
- Rising Star Chardonnay 2011 (Semi-Dry White)
- Rising Star White Zinfandel 2012 (Semi-Sweet White)
- Miss “B” Havin’ Table Wine (blend of Malvasia, Gewürztraminer, Muscato) (Sweet White)
- Rising Star Pinot Noir 2011 (Dry Medium Bodied Red)
- Rising Star Red Zinfandel 2010 (Dry Full Bodied Red)
- “Man’s Best Friend” Merlot 2010 (Off Dry Medium Bodied Red)
- Sweet Sparkling Sensi Sangue DiGuida 2012 (Sweet Full Bodied Red)
Inside the winery is a barrel room with a hand carved dining table surrounded by oak barrels. The room can be rented for private events. Events such as weddings, parties, and wine dinners are held at the winery.
Live music is held throughout the year. Other special events such as their annual Grape Race, outdoor movie nights, holiday celebrations, and more are held. Zin Valle Vineyards has a wine club where members can receive discounts and other benefits at the winery.