(Napa Valley, Calif.) – The Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas has announced the 2014 exam schedule for the Introductory, Certified and Advanced Exams through August 2014. Courses and exams offered by the Court of Master Sommeliers are open to all beverage and hospitality professionals interested in pursuing the highest standards of wine service and product knowledge in a fine dining room setting.
The Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam is a fast-paced introduction to the world of wine and beverages led by Master Sommeliers. Two days of classroom-style lectures covers everything from French wine laws to classic wine producing regions to sake and beer. Students will also learn and perform the Deductive Tasting method of blind tasting from some of the best palates in the world.
Students who successfully pass the Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam are given the opportunity to sit for the Certified Sommelier Exam. In addition to a more comprehensive theory exam, participants will also be formally tested on the Deductive Tasting method and service skills in a fine dining restaurant setting. This provides students the credential as a certified sommelier to show employers their skills have been evaluated at a high level of proficiency.
Entrance into the Advanced Sommelier Course & Examination is via a selection process conducted by the Court of Master Sommeliers. The Advanced Examination is exponentially more challenging than the Certified Sommelier Examination, and a required step in the progress toward the Master Sommelier Diploma. Students successfully passing the Advanced Sommelier Course and Examination are eligible to be invited to sit for the Master Sommelier Diploma.
To see full exam descriptions and expectations, please see the Court of Master Sommeliers’ course and schedule overview.
Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam Schedule
Two-day educational course ending with a multiple-choice theory examination at the end of day two; 8:00am-5:30pm
- June 2-3: Raleigh, NC — Angus Barn
- June 10-11: Reno, NV — Peppermill Casino
- June 16-17: Campbell, CA — ICC-CA
- June 16-17: Hollywood, FL — Westin Diplomat
- June 24-25: New Orleans, LA — Commander’s Palace Restaurant
- June 25-26: New York, NY — ICC-NY
- July 7-8: Kanas City, MO — American Restaurant (Intro only)
- July 19-20: Denver, CO — Metro State Universities
- July 20-21: Napa, CA — CIA
- July 21-22: Nashville, TN — Omni-Poss
- August 3-4 or 10-11: Washington, DC — Mandarin Oriental
- August 5-6: San Diego, CA — The Prato in Balboa Park
- August 8-9: Irving, TX — Four Seasons
- August 23-24: Toronto, ON — Maple Lead Centre
Certified Sommelier Exam
Mandatory prerequisite of successfully completing the Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam; one-day exam only; 8:00am-5:30pm
- June 4: Raleigh, NC — Angus Barn
- June 16: Pebble Beach — Pebble Beach Resort
- June 23: New Orleans, LA — Commander’s Palace Restaurant
- June 27: New York, NY — ICC-NY
- August 2 or 9: Washington, DC — Mandarin Oriental
- August 7: San Diego, CA — The Prato in Balboa Park
- August 9: Dallas, TX — Four Seasons
- August 25: Toronto, ON — Maple Leaf Center
Advanced Sommelier Exam
Mandatory prerequisite of successfully completing the Introductory Sommelier Course & Exam and the Certified Sommelier Exam; three-day educational course followed by two days of examination
- July 1-3: Dallas, TX — Four Seasons
ABOUT THE COURT OF MASTER SOMMELIERS
The Court of Master Sommeliers was established to encourage improved standards of beverage knowledge and service in hotels and restaurants. Education was then, and remains today, the Court’s charter. The first successful Master Sommelier examination was held in the United Kingdom in 1969. By April 1977, the Court of Master Sommeliers was established as the premier international examining body.
Over the four decades since the Court’s first examination was held, 197 individuals have earned the Master Sommelier Diploma. In the service of wine, spirits and other alcoholic beverages, the Master Sommelier Diploma is the ultimate professional credential anyone can attain worldwide.